The Detective Section is a research and development project at the Swedish National Archives in collaboration with GPS400: Centre for collaborative visual research at the University of Gothenburg. The project combines applied Machine Learning (Handwritten Text Recognition) and Citizen Science methods and is based on an archival material that consists of more than 25 000 pages of handwritten text from the Gothenburg police’ detective section 1865–1903. The archives information will be published as open text data on the webpage of the Swedish National Archives. Citizen scientists are invited to participate by transcribing handwritten archival material via a web user interface as well as attending meetings with researchers and project's staff.
Project aims and objectives:
• Generalizable experiences of HTR and Citizen Science
• Increase searchability of information in archives
• Increase the use of information in archives in data driven research
• Promote participation and public engagement
• Create training data set for HTR-development
How to participate
Participation through transcribing handwritten archival material via a web user interface.
Computer with Internet access.
Other Organisations involved
Göteborg med omnejd