Open Food Facts - world's largest open food database !
Open your food and know what you eat 🔎🥫
Be part of our collaborative, free and open database of food products from around the world!
A food product database
Open Food Facts is a database of food products with ingredients, allergens, nutrition facts and all the tidbits of information we can find on product labels.
Made by everyone
Open Food Facts is a non-profit association of volunteers.
20000+ contributors like you have added almost 3M products from 150 countries using our Android,iPhone or Windows Phone app or their camera to scan barcodes and upload pictures of products and their labels.
Data about food is of public interest and has to be open. The complete database is published as open data and can be reused by anyone and for any use.
Food for thought, innovation and science 👩🔬
Our data can be reused for education, new products and services, research and more!
The Open Food Facts database is open data published under the Open Database Licence. Anyone can use it for any purpose - commercial or non-commercial - provided the source of the data is attributed and improvements to the database are shared in a similar way.
- Education How many food commercials have you seen in your life? See the facts behind the marketing.
- Products & services Open Food Facts data can be reused in both non-commercial and commercial projects, as long as improvements to the database are shared as well.
- Science Open Food Facts data is used by scientists in different fields (Nutrition, Biology). And you don't need a PhD to take part in citizen science!
Advance food transparency
By harnessing the power of crowd-sourcing and collaboration, the project is helping to create a more informed and empowered consumer base.
Make better food choices 😃
Knowledge is power. Food knowledge is power to eat better!
- Decode labels 🪧 Food additives E-numbers, allergens, packaging codes...
Find products 🔎 Our search form includes dozens of criteria so that you can find products that match your criteria.
Compare and change 🍫 Do you know which breakfast cereals have the less fat and sugar? In 3 clicks you can create an interactive graph to show it.
Explore and discover 🗺️ Curious about food? Explore products by facets like brands, categories, labels, origins of ingredients etc. Facets can be combined to discover new insights, for instance to map the origins of ingredients that bear a fair trade label.
How to participate
🛒 Simply enter information on your everyday food products (list of ingredients, nutritional data, packaging codes, photos...) on the website or using our scanning mobile app.
- If the product is not yet on the base: you can add it, just fill in as much data as you can gather from the packaging into the corresponding boxes.
- If the product is already in the database, but is not updated/missing some information, you can add/edit the product sheet. This way, the person who looks it up after you will have the latest & most precise information!
🙋 Want to help Open Food Facts with other skills (translating, coding, presenting the project, writing, networking & more) ?
Fill out our volunteer skill pool form & we'll get in touch !
- Food products 🥫🥬🍊🧃 (ones with a barcode)
- Your smartphone 📱 (& our free, ad-free & private mobile app)
- Your computer 💻 (via our webisite: https://world.openfoodfacts.org/ )
Funding bodies: DonationsPublic funds Santé publique France